Leavers and changes

The last few days of term brings leaver's day in our local schools as our year 6's move up into Secondary school after the Summer. I well remember when it was my children, and how daunting it seemed at the time. In my training placement, I have been doing a bit of work with some year 6's and some of them have been very honest in expressing the things they are worried about; making friends, finding their way around, coping with the workload. All very honest fears.

I remember also this time last year as I prepared to give up teaching, and the fears and worries I had around that. Change is always scary as we don't know what lies ahead and we often fear it may not be good. 

In what seems a long time ago now, I was at a Pleshey retreat as part of my discernment and I had been worrying if entering ordination training was the right thing for me, and was scared about what the future held. I remember the moment when my eye caught a group of trees covered in autumn golds and reds, hiding the view beyond, and the thought came to me that if God was providing this beautiful scene, why would I not trust him with what lies ahead. 

So to all for whom change is looming, God is with you, he knows your fears and holds you through it. A year from now you may find the view on the other side is even better.


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29 vs 11

Comments