"and I bent down to feed them."

At the moment it seems there is a lot of anger out there. The political climate has shifted, certainties no longer seem certain and the fear this generates comes across in many ways, but often in anger. 

This week I listened to a fabulous radio play "Comment is free" which explored public comment and opinion and the damage it does, it was a sobering reminder that what we say, especially now we have such a platform to say it, matters. 

When we are hurt, or betrayed our very human reaction is to be angry, to want to get back at those who hurt us and yet all it seems to bring about is an atmosphere of anger and distrust.

The bible readings this month have followed the book of Hosea and it has been uncomfortable reading, with lots of anger and revenge and terrible prophesy. Yet today finally , as I opened it with a bit of trepidation, came words which were like pouring oil on troubled waters.

For God speaks of his people as a parent speaks of their child  in words so tender and compassionate, that even although this child has rejected him and turned away, still he reaches out with outstretched arms. The prodigal son tells exactly the same story.

God does what we find hardest to do, he looks those who hate and reject in the eye and he loves them, he chooses to love rather than condemn. It is a hard path and goes against all that is human, it is the battle of the me and what I want and the spirit and what God wants . But in these times do we not each have a calling to choose that path, to reach higher and speak kindness and love and compassion - to remind others that there is a better way.

“When Israel was a child, I loved him,
    and out of Egypt I called my son.
But the more they were called,
    the more they went away from me.[a]
They sacrificed to the Baals
    and they burned incense to images.
It was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
    taking them by the arms;
but they did not realize
    it was I who healed them.
I led them with cords of human kindness,
    with ties of love.
To them I was like one who lifts
    a little child to the cheek,
    and I bent down to feed them." Hosea 11 vs 1-4

Comments