Thy will be done...... maybe.

How, I wonder? do we pray?
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done …..
Thy will be done…..sort of. I mean I’m OK with that, but can you make sure your will
matches mine, or can we maybe do my will first then we could think about your will
as long as its not too far away from will…..
Does that seem a bit familiar?
To pray for God’s will but then do everything to make sure its actually our will?

I think I do that a lot more often than I am prepared to admit.
Yet Contrast that with Mary
“Here I am, the servant of the Lord: let it be to me according to your word” and this
from a 12 year old girl.
Oh dear!

This summer I have been imposing my will on the garden. In my hot dry Essex garden I planted several years ago a hydrangea - a plant with the very word for water in its name ( big clue). I have watered it, fed it and  nurtured it but I have to admit after a two week holiday it is most definitely dead. Yet in being so obsessed I failed to notice the Cosmos blooming in beautiful colours from a seed scattered carelessly at the start of the season.

How often do we put all our labours and effort into things which are not really meant to be , when God is trying to use us for something completely different? 

"“Here I am, the servant of the Lord: let it be to me according to your word” Luke 1 vs 38

Comments