Chasing Squirrels

Every day, several times a day, the squirrel comes into the garden and, despite all the claims about a squirrel free bird feeder, proceeds in numerous athletic and contorted ways to defy gravity and eat the bird seed. I am happy to welcome them as part of our garden. Not so Macy the dog...

Every day, several times a day she leaps up and races out when they appear, undaunted by the fact that they are quicker, can climb trees and are over the fence before she even reaches the grass. Nonetheless, still she tries.

I wonder what impossible endeavours I give my time and energy to, 'until my shoes wear out and my throat runs dry....' Jeremiah 2 vs 25 - what things do I chase that are simply not worth the effort?   

As we approach a bank holiday weekend, and perhaps a bit of a rest I have been thinking about this and remembering the words of the 23rd Psalm which reminds us  that  God is our shepherd, the one who protects and cares for us, the one who, if we only let him will give us what we need . There really is no need to chase squirrels. 

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want." Psalm 23 vs 1



Comments