Compost and new things

So it's moving into proper winter now, dark starts, dark afternoons and, the relief that was the Christmas holidays, definitely gone. Spring seems a bit far off, despite the travel ads in the paper, and it's that time where it seems there is not much to be hopeful about.

This year, at the start of January, we ( hubby and I) invested in a garden shredder to renovate some old fruit trees and started a couple of compost bins. Our pleasure in this caused my youngest to wryly that " we seemed to be getting mighty excited about compost" with a look that said exactly how she felt about that. But I can't deny I have been getting a bit excited, because it is about new growth, new beginnings and  looking forward, all of which does bring hope into dark and dreary, winter days. 

I like to think that deep in the dark of my compost bin, things are happening, nothing has been lost but everything is being used to bring new shoots. The same is true of our lives,  that nothing  is lost, that God is at work, the light in the darkness.  

"See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
    and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43 vs 19


Comments