Take nothing with you ...

On Saturday I discovered for the first time the delights of Leigh on Sea. We wanted to go out for the day and take a picnic and so, sometime later, much later,  with numerous bags we set off in the car. 
There was food, to meet everyone's taste, there were rugs to make sure we had a good seat, there were napkins, cutlery and there was a bag for the dog, to make sure she was well provided for. On arrival I realised pretty quickly that we had come to a  lovely place with all our needs provided for and not the remotest corner of the galaxy where survival was dependent on what I had packed. 

 Yesterday's bible reading described how Jesus sent out 72 of his followers urging them to take nothing with them but to simply trust. So I have been musing this morning on what that looks like for me today and this week. There are lots of things going on for me, things I want to sort, fix, control the way I want them to be and yet a small voice keeps repeating - take nothing with you...


"After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go.  He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.  Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road." Luke 10 vs 1-4 


Comments