Where is our focus?

A friend of mine was telling me this week about watching a puppy being trained in the fields where she was walking. As she watched, the owner made the dog sit until he called her over, and what was fascinating was watching the dog as she sat. She was absolutely focused on that owner's signal. Her body was aligned and ready to react, her ears were up and her eyes were attentive and, at the appropriate signal, she rushed forward.

And all this because of the relationship between dog and owner. What struck my friend was the understanding by the dog that she was loved, the absolute trust in that love and therefore the desire to do what was asked of her. It was a  beautiful thing to witness. We were speaking on Sunday of how to keep our focus on the one who created us and who loves us, and wouldn't it be lovely if we all felt like that dog.

My dog reminds me more of my relationship with God. She loves and trusts me, and she sets out on our walks with good intentions but gets so easily distracted. But then I was thinking, I love her no less for that and gently bring her back, in the same way as I am sure God loves me and gently brings me back to what is right for me.

" Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full on his wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of his glory and grace ."  Helen Howarth Lemmel

Easily distracted...unfocused...but much loved.

Comments