St Basil and the onions

At a residential weekend this Saturday and have just been learning about St Basil the Great about whom I confess I knew nothing, but was delighted by the beginning of the lecture which explained how much he loved nature and how he saw everything in nature as teaching us something about God.
All of which brings me on to onions.
I have been trying to paint onions recently , and as always when I try to paint something I am forced to stop and really look at it. Now the obvious thing about onions is their layers but so much is made of this that I am not going there. No what really excited me about these onions was their scruffiness, they had bits peeing off and probably going off, and so they provided lots of colours, browns and purples and greens .

Apparently there are two types of onions, some are much neater and shinier and perfect onion shaped and some are scruffy and all over the place - you can see the link coming here. Sometimes it is our scruffiness, our lack of order, our vunerability that makes us more interesting.
We don't always have to present ourselves as shiny happy people, it is the times we are broken, messy and funadamentaly human that allow God in .


Comments