Running from the thunder

Feeling a little bleary eyed this morning because of last night's thunderstorm.

Somewhere in the early hours Macy ( the dog) sensed the storm and started to scrape at the door, I got up and watched her as she ran around the house searching room after room for a safe space, a space where she could outrun this terrible thing. Of course there was none, so eventually she curled up under the bed in the spare room, and I moved into the spare room to be with her. I don't know if it helped but I stayed there murmuring reassurances until I (and hopefully she) fell asleep. because that's what we do for the ones we love.

Now it probably makes me the world's worst dog owner but I don't really care about that.

We are not so very different Macy and I. When trouble comes I too often run around looking for ways to avoid it which of course can't be done, but it helps me to trust that God is there, watching us and when we are curled up frightened and alone, he reassures us, stays with us and holds us until the storm has passed.

I don't treat Macy like that because she is super dog, because she has pedigree, far from it she is a scruffy, slightly dopey little dog, but I do it because I love her. And God isn't there only for those who do things right, who understand the bible or study the scriptures, or who have "earned it"  he is there  for everyone, simply because he loves us.
 All we have to do is let his voice in and trust in it.

"When you pass through deep waters, I will be with you;
    your troubles will not overwhelm you.
When you pass through fire, you will not be burned;
    the hard trials that come will not hurt you.
For I am the Lord your God,
    the holy God of Israel, who saves you.
I will give up Egypt to set you free;
    I will give up Ethiopia[a] and Seba.
I will give up whole nations to save your life,
    because you are precious to me
    and because I love you and give you honor.
Do not be afraid—I am with you!"

Isaiah 43 2-5

Comments