Squawking babies

I have three very noisy additions to the garden in the shape of baby starlings. They start at about 4am and come and go regularly at mealtimes following their mum around and while they may be small  they can squawk. Every time mum pulls out a worm they open their beaks wider than I could have imagined possible and they let rip.
However as I stood watching her the other day and thinking how exhausted she must be listening to them squawking after her endlessly, I did notice that she often pulled food out for herself first completely ignoring their cries for attention and then she would turn to help them.

What a brilliant and  sensible strategy. For unless we feed ourselves we are in no position to meet the needs of those around us, and we don't often do it do we? How often do we save time for ourselves, or rest enough or enjoy pleasure before we see to the to do list - not very often and as a result it doesn't take long until we have very little left to give.

Jesus understood this, for all the clamouring around him by those who needed healing or care he was careful to take himself off to quiet spaces, to replenish himself in order to help others.

So I have learnt a lot from my baby birds, my own "baby birds" be warned!

"Love your neighbour as yourself" Mark 12 vs 31

Comments