If only they would always feel like this ...

We had a wonderful family party this weekend to celebrate my daughters 18 and 21 st birthdays, it was a very joyful event and I was thinking how much we were celebrating: arriving at these important thresholds for them as they head out into the world of adulthood, the blessings of the last 21/18 years, the ups and downs we have been through, surviving toddler tantrums, surviving teenager tantrums ( which are just toddler tantrums with a bigger, slightly dodgier vocabulary, and a significant shift in power), learning as parents to back off and trust more, learning as children to step up and do more. All the normal patterns of family life.

I sensed something of the parent in todays reading from Deuteronomy when God says
'If only they would always feel like this" 
Its a bit like the party - if only it could always be like this.
But God knows , just as we parents know, that it won't be, things will go wrong, as a people we will turn our backs again on God , we will fall short and disobey his commandments and no matter how much he tries to tell us they are for our good, we will ignore him.

So he reminds us again that its very simple

' Do everything that God has commanded you so that everything will go well with you" 

I read the words this morning full of good intentions ....but by 8.30am I had already broken several

Oh if only we would always feel like this how much easier it would be.

“When the Lord heard this, he said to me, ‘I have heard what these people said, and they are right.  If only they would always feel this way! If only they would always honour me and obey all my commands, so that everything would go well with them and their descendants forever. " Deuteronomy 5 vs 29-30





Comments