Of spas and churches

This week being midterm  I planned to take my daughter and myself for a day of pampering at a spa- a bit of a treat to ease the pain of A level revision. Spas are a bit out of my comfort zone and I started to panic - how could I wander about in the midst of perfect spa people without looking anything near perfect? 
A haircut or  manicure must surely be needed and a swimming costume that doesn't look as if it comes out on holiday once a year, is a bit faded from its original colour and very possibly has last year's sand still lingering in its folds.

And so we went and guess what -  it was full of normal people. People of all ages,  all shapes and sizes whose faces had their story on them just like mine with its laughter lines wrinkles and marks - amazingly they were all wonderfully human.


Sometimes can feel like that about my faith, I am not good enough, I can't possibly let people see how unhappy, tired, insecure I am feeling. Surely church is filled with joyful people who have all the answers and I will be obvious with all my failings. But church is filled with normal humans who all share failings and doubts and insecurities and only when we do expose the bits we don't usually want seen do we let ourselves be helped. 

We just need to turn up whatever our swimming costume looks like.

'My grace is enough; it’s all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12:9-11





Comments