Timing is everything

Saturday morning finally arrived, the end of a very busy long week filled with exam marking and meetings in the evening. I was tired but delighted to have some time to myself when the doorbell rang...Thinking it might be a book I had ordered I happily answered to find a very polite gentleman on the doorstep who asked me whether
" I had given to any thought to what happens when I die:"  Argh!

Now as it happens I have of course thought about it and am pretty positive given the promise of the gospel but really a Saturday morning in January? I have no idea where this visitor came from and don't mean to diminish his very brave step but the timing was all wrong.

On Sunday the text was the wedding at Cana. This passage had so much to say, lots more than I originally thought, but it is also a wonderful example of how Jesus was alongside people. There was a crisis at the wedding, and so he did what was needed, and in the doing of it he was able to show the love of God and point to the coming of the Kingdom.

The last verse reads " and his disciples believed in him."

It seems to me that in order to have people arrive at a place where they might be open to hearing the good news we have to be with them, work with them, understand them, their needs and fears, their joys and sorrows, their tiredness and the times they need rest. Jesus had no need for words, his loving action did it all- I hope that we may be just as sensitive.

"This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him." John 2 vs 1-12

Comments