My bigger better bag

I recently bought a tote bag. This is not an earth shattering piece of news I realise  but I was very excited because I always wanted one. My handbags were quite small and neat and I wanted a big, unstructured bag that I could throw everything into and take everything everywhere. So come my birthday, thanks to my husband, I became the proud owner of a very nice, very big  tote bag.

My wishes are fulfilled,  I can take everything in it I can toss everything in and go, I don't have to struggle to place things in compartments or filter out the things I need or don't need.

And now I can't ever find anything.

I put so much in,  I can't get to the bottom of it easily, I certainly can't see  the bottom of it which is a problem because my very tiny car key seems to keep finding hidden corners in which to live. While I loved the idea of adding more and more I am now wondering if I really need all my make up with me all the time, my iPad, phone and diary ( paper) , and it was hard to explain to my daughter why I had a spare pair of shoes in there.

We work so very hard don't we to have more and yet when we get it it often brings more complications that we don't really need.

Jesus told the story of the man who built bigger and bigger barns and lost sight of what was important he reminds us to spend time on our relationship with God for in the end that is what counts.

16 "And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’
18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’
20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you.Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”"
Luke 12 vs 16-21

Comments