Freedom to choose

On Friday after I had left for work I failed to notice the gate into the garden had been left open and so Macy( the dog) was for the first time in a very long time  - free. 

There was so much she could have done, our neighbour has a very exciting compost heap that she has been known to run into when the opportunity arises. This time, unlike those other occasions, she could have rolled in it to her hearts content without us running after her and hauling her back. Or the fields. Stretching for miles she could have run amok, following trails, chasing rabbits for hours on end. 

But no, she chose instead to follow my daughter down to the bus stop where she waited on the school bus. My daughter was delighted and when she appeared scooped her up and brought her home again.

Its a lightweight analogy but I've been thinking about this in the light of all the discussion on freedom over the last two weeks. Freedom is a wonderful thing but what we choose to do  with our freedom matters? Do we use it to build up or tear down, to encourage or to flatten, to follow in love or burst up in hate? 

In the end I keep coming back to this

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
John 13 vs 34-35

Comments