Bearing Fruit

On Saturday we pruned our espalier apple tree. I am still quite new to this so I made sure I looked up the book to get it right and the advice has sort of stuck with me all week.

It told me that the branches which were striving to grow up and tall would not bear fruit and should be cut away while the ones which remained close to the branch and grew fatter will be fruit bearing. Well if that's not a gift of a blog I don't know what is.
As we strive harder and harder pushing ourselves in every direction we bear less fruit, but by stopping and listening and just being we can produce more.

As one who is a skinny branch striving upwards I am slightly disappointed by this but recognise its wisdom. Time to be still maybe?

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Comments