Scratching the itch

The dog has been wearing the cone of shame  over the last few days, a phrase from a film I can't remember the name of, but which still makes me smile as she looks a little sorry for herself and navigates doorways clumsily. The alternative however is not great as she constantly scratches a wound and stops it from healing.

I think I might need a cone of shame these days because despite my best efforts, I find it hard to stay away from watching or listening to the news,  perhaps in the hope it will get better. However that too is like itching a wound,


adding to anxiety and certainly not bringing any calm or healing. 

As I sat with a cup of tea this morning and looked out I saw two much more healing things.

The first is simply the colours in the garden, every shade of red, orange and gold in leaves and berries, with a beauty untouched by all the bad news going around. And the second is the church spire, standing tall as it has done done for centuries and reminding me that God holds us . As the Archbishop's reminded us recently,

"we know we are all in the faithful hands of the risen Christ who knows our weaknesses, tiredness and struggles and whose steadfast love endures forever"

Comments