Light at the end of the tunnel ?

This morning I took a new path when Macy and I were out walking. It was simply signed 'Byway" and I hadn't noticed it before so I was intrigued where it went to. For the first five minutes I was trying to get my bearings, as to where this path was leading and where it would join up with another road, I was conscious that I walked quite quickly and purposefully and, let's be honest, tensely. Its Monday morning there is a lot to be done .

Macy on the other hand kept pulling me off the road to sniff and smell and potter around the trees. She was quite relaxed. Forced to stop while she explored something of huge interest, I began to look around and for the first time noticed that how the leaves were falling off the trees like copper snow.

Yesterday I had the joy and privilege of being at a confirmation service in Chelmsford Cathedral. In his sermon Bishop Stephen spoke on how as Christians we were not waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel, but that the light was here and now for us.

As I remembered these words I was thinking about how much of my time is spent trying to find out where the path is leading, what all be at the end of it, looking for answers. For once I know, I have control.

Faith is not about answers, it is about trusting in that which we cannot understand, simply  trusting that Christ died and rose again. And although I  have no idea where that will lead me, it tells me that I am loved and loved by the one who is Lord of all. My job is not to find out about the end of the path but to walk along it certain that it will OK, and open to what I am seeing on the journey.

How does my dog understand this and I don't?



Comments