Walk in the light

Yesterday, at a school assembly, we sang the words " Walk in the light " and these words came back to me last night as I was tossing and turning, unable to get to sleep. It may have been the hot, sticky weather, but actually I think it was more that there is a lot going on at the moment in my life  and I was worried about  it. I berated myself that in all this busyness I wasn't doing much of a job of walking in the light, I reasoned that if only I could go  somewhere still and quiet, I could walk so much better in that light.  

This morning I was reading a thought from Richard Rohr who reminded me that, of course we don't always have the luxury of quiet, contemplative space, sometimes the calls on our lives cannot just be set aside, but we can still walk in the light . For it is about taking a moment to be awake to what is around us, to see the needs of others and to remember the love we have been given. To remember that we don't do it all ourselves - if can surrender to that, receiving and giving love to those around us, we are indeed  'walking in the light.'

 Important though space is to renew our batteries, we are asked to be in this world with all its hurley burley and to shine a light into that place. 

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4 vs 12 - 13

Comments