On chatting and hawthorns


Last night I saw an advert where a well known High Street bank used a campaign which promised to be a presence in the High Street for the next two years. While it seemed a worthy endeavour, is it not a bit sad that personal interaction is becoming a USP? I do say this as one who is not averse to internet shopping, but I am also aware of how many times a quick chat with someone behind the till or on the counter had added to my day. 
I have been searching for the right dress for my nephew's wedding in the summer and during a short break in Barcelona, last week I  tried on a few possible options. Not having anyone with me to give an opinion, I turned to the assistant, who despite the language barrier was able to make herself very clear with a thumbs up or as also happened, a vigorous shake of the head.  It was a very funny interaction which despite language barriers changed the experience into a joyful exercise. 


I have been trying to take a few moments a day to quickly sketch something, anything, which makes me stop and appreciate the world around me. This morning was the first buds of hawthorn bushes in the hedgerow. Tiny, tiny, tight white buds which were almost missable yet there acting as a reminder that there is such beauty in the world, which we often don't notice. As the Psalmist said 

"The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world." Psalm 19 vs 1- 4




This morning's sketch

Comments