Jumping the gun

A couple of times this weekend  I did something that can only be described as 'jumping the gun', a phrase which comes from track and field events where participants start before the gun has signalled the official beginning of the race.  In common usage, it is about leaping ahead without thinking something through, and gosh don't we often fall into that particular trap. 

In a conversation recently I was reminded of Gantt charts, complicated charts in project management used to ensure the project meets its due date. I used to teach about them and sixth formers, who are often a lot more spontaneous, would find it hard to plan forward to that degree.  Yet often when I met them after starting work they found Gantt charts were a big part of their everyday life. While there is a place for spontaneity, thinking things through is usually a good idea. 

When I read the Bible Old Testament and New Testament, I am often struck by how perfect God's timing is. Each generation it seems has its own idea of what should happen but God sees it all, the alpha and the omega. With him, there is no jumping the gun...it all happens exactly as it should. I will try to remember that and just wait on him. 

 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29 vs 11



The bright pink of this Campion shone through the greens this morning on the dog walk. A joyful splash of colour.

Comments