Burning Bushes

 In Morning prayer this week week we read about Moses and the Burning Bush. I have been reflecting on Moses' curiosity. That he saw the bush, recognised that there was  something  unusual about it  and went to look further. I had prayed this week that I might be open to seeing burning bushes, to sensing God's presence and being ready to look.

On my walk this morning there was no 'burning bush' but there was Hawthorn, bursting with blossom out of the hedgerow. It seems to me to be the first blossom that really says Spring is here, and it comes before the leaves appear,  almost as if it can't wait to tell us the Winter is over. 

God's speaks to us in all sorts of ways constantly  reassuring us  of his faithful love and presence even when we might be in  a season of winter.

I have used this quote a lot in the blog but it is just so good...

" Earth's crammed with heaven,

And every common bush afire with God,

But only he who sees takes off his shoes;

The rest sit round and pluck blackberries."

Elizabeth Barrett Browning


Moses saw that thought the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought " I will go over and see this strange sight." Exodus3 vs 2-3




Comments