Of toothbrushes and fossilised fish...

I have an electric toothbrush which times me to 2 mins overall with a bleep after every 30 secs to let me move around my gums. I share this very uninteresting fact with you because I'd love to know if anyone else finds it as boring as I do standing brushing for the 2 mins. With apologies to dentists everywhere ,who work hard to take care of our teeth, I am impatient. 
I realised I did need to heed the advice, so now I take my toothbrush and stand looking out of the bedroom window at the garden to help pass the time and that is why my attention has been drawn to the small fossilised fish which has sat on my windowsill for years and to which I have never given a second thought.
I agree this is a slightly contrived way to get here, to the fish, but it is how it happened. The fossil is very delicate and beautiful and the intricacy of its structure is a reminder of how miraculously we are put together, but the fish says something else to me.

As he sits there day after day it reminds me to use my day well. I don't know how long he lived for, or when he died but it is pretty clear that life on this earth is a short span of time in the overall history of the planet. It is a gift to be used wisely.

 This morning in morning prayer we prayed that today might be Holy, good and joyful.
Seems to me that is a pretty good way of making the most of the day.

"This is the day the Lord has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118 vs 24





Comments