Not inviting Amos to lunch

January isn't the easiest month, we have just had Blue Monday, purses are empty, stomachs are still a bit too full ( or mine is anyway) and its quite a while to the next payday and holiday. It seems like the time we need a little TLC, but for the past few days I have been reading the book of Amos and TLC is not being given.

Sometimes I think it would be easier not to read the Bible, because it challenges. It forces me to think about my life, my actions, it shines a light on places I'd rather not look at, because like everyone else I am human and not saintly.

So today's reading was a very firm reminder that following Jesus isn't just for Sundays , it is something which must go through the very core of our being . It must affect the way we live 24/7, the way we carry out our work, the way we treat others, the choices we make about - well about everything. For it isn't a set of rules, it is way of living that comes from the heart and often battles with the "me " in me.

So I don't think I'd be comfortable  to have Amos round for lunch, I don't think I fall into the category of cheating with dishonest scales, but he challenges me to look at all of my life and how it is lived.
TLC would be so much easier.


“When will the New Moon be over
    that we may sell grain,
and the Sabbath be ended
    that we may market wheat?”
skimping on the measure,
    boosting the price
    and cheating with dishonest scales,
buying the poor with silver
    and the needy for a pair of sandals,
    selling even the sweepings with the wheat.

 Amos 8 vs 5-6

Comments