Vyanni - magical fabrics with an inspiring story

One last blog about our holiday is an experience I have to share.

One of the first things I noticed in Sri Lanka was colour, colour not just in the landscape but in the cloth that is used in both in clothing and furnishings and so I was keen to try and find fabric to bring home.

 It was this search which took me to a store called Vyanni. This is a fabric shop beautifully presented with a magical range of coloured, hand woven fabrics which could have come from the world's leading designers but instead are handwoven by local rural workers.

 I was very excited to discover such craftsmanship and over a couple of visits I discovered that the shop and business had been established to help these rural artisans present and sell their work and in so doing raise awareness of their skills, provide employment and raise their self worth. Theirs is not an easy life and as the website states the fabric turns  " the reality of hard rural lives and existential struggles turned into small victories inch by inch of every woven fabric."
Vyanni

I can't think on a more fitting way to finish my holiday blogs than this memory of Sri Lanka, its people and its beauty. I read in the guide book that Galle is thought to be Tarshish from where King Solomon had treasures brought to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem. After tow weeks its easy to see why...

The king had a fleet of trading ships[a] at sea along with the ships of Hiram. Once every three years it returned, carrying gold, silver and ivory, and apes and baboons." 1 Kings 10 vs 22

Footnotes:

  1. 1 Kings 10:22 Hebrew of ships of Tarshish

Comments