Stepping out of the boat

Last week we had to have a few vaccinations for travelling abroad this summer. I am usually quite OK with vaccinations but I wonder if I could pass on a tiny piece of advice to the clinic where we had them done. While I understand the need for raising awareness would it maybe be possible to change the wall displays and just add a little hope in there?

It doesn't pay to read the posters too carefully, the warnings of rabies, malaria and diseases I couldn't pronounce and have never even heard of are pretty horrific and while I know we are very lucky to have the opportunity of this holiday, I was beginning to wonder why if a week in Cornwall wouldn't be a better option.

It got me thinking about the whole idea of risk taking in our lives . It's a good thing to be content, but it is not the same as never stepping out because we are afraid to leave our comfort zones. I am not naturally a risk taker, I tend to see the obstacles in the way rather than the positives, so on the occasions when I have felt called to do something in my faith , I have held back arguing with myself and with God. Jon Ortberg's book "If you want to walk on water you have to get out of the boat" sums it up pretty well, and I can say that the occasions I have stepped out of the boat I have never regretted it.

Jesus told the story of the talents and berated the servant who hid his gift out of fear. We are asked to take a risk in Jesus name, to step out of the boat and walk on water towards him, not looking down, not seeing the waves but trusting that he will carry us. 

The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’
 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’ Matthew 25 vs 14 -30



Comments