A chance encounter

This morning  walking the dog I noticed that when she brushed past a certain type of grass there was a cloud of seed dispersed like a little puff of smoke. In the early morning sun it was quite magical.

As we walked on I realised it was only one type of grass which I hadn't taken the trouble to study closely and in the huge fields was impossible to find again. So if anyone noticed a strange woman walking along and hitting the tops of the grass with growing frustration that was me.

I started to think about encounters. What do we disperse when we brush past people in the day to day?
Do we cover them with joy or gloom, do we send a wave of love and compassion or anger and disapproval? It's a bit of a thought and even worse, just like my grass, we may not ever get another chance.

 Jesus changed the lives of all who encountered him, the woman at the well, Matthew the tax collector, Zacchaeus.

 That little seed cloud settled somewhere, and although much of it landed on my dog and therefore on my kitchen floor, some of it would have landed in just the right place and next year's grass will be the result. If just one encounter today makes someone feel more loved and cared for who knows what might grow from that?


"Still other seeds fell on fertile soil, and they produced a crop that was thirty, sixty, and even a hundred times as much as had been planted! " 
Matthew 13 vs 8






Comments