On the way to the supermarket today I asked my daughters what fruit they would like me to buy in for them,  to which one replied "Mum get apricots because they are so ........."

Now there are any number of adjectives I could have put in here, juicy, delicious, fruity please feel free to  add your own but I bet never in a million  years would you have put in the word she did
"Mum get apricots because they are so .... reliable. "   Ehhh?

After laughing for quite some time, she was able to explain that she liked them because they were always good, rarely bruised and she felt she consistently got a good one - they were indeed reliable.

Being able to rely on things is important in our lives, we rely on people, technology, our car starting in the morning and when any of the above let us down, it can send us into a panic. Sadly however they do let us down and one day, although I hope not for a very long time, it is just possible that my daughter will be let down by the apricots ( heaven forbid).

So I find great comfort in the knowledge that whatever else may happen the sun will still rise in the morning and the moon shine at night - For everything else we just need to trust.

The Lord watches over you—
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm
    he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
    both now and forevermore.

Psalm 121 vs 5-8

Comments