January the Eeyore of months

January seems to me to be the Eeyore of months- Oh well it was good fun but it couldn't last...
and now we have to pay...

Every time I lift a magazine it seems to be telling me that life will be better if only we have a dry January, a vegan January, a new exercise regime January, a better relationship January. The same voices which encouraged us to overindulge with joy, last month are now terrifying us with how unhappy we are, and by March will be reinventing the New Spring us. It's hard to keep up and almost always leaves us feeling that we have failed.

One lovely piece of writing in last weekend 's papers asked the daring question, why can we not just be?

Exactly.

I would add to that that we are much loved not for what we do, or manage to not do, but for who we are. When Jesus was baptised God said the words ;
"This is my beloved, with whom I am well pleased." and this was before he had begun his ministry, it was not about what he did.
As I think again about how I will declutter, be better, and feel slightly overwhelmed with the pressure, I am reminded of these reaffirming, reassuring loving words;

"This is my beloved son, with whom I am well pleased." Luke 3 vs 22

Comments