Deer or dog

Over the past few mornings, I have been walking the dog by the edge of a small wood and each morning a herd of deer has been watching our movements. The first morning I saw them I watched as they froze, looking across the field at us, checking I suppose whether they should run or stay. They were completely still, ears pricked, heads turned to see what we would do next. Watching and waiting for guidance.

I stood and watched them too but my dog, clearly not built for hunter-gathering, snuffled around poking in and out of the grass, possibly aware that something was there, but never lifting her head to see them standing right in front of her. 

Over Christmas I have been reading Jim Crumley's "The Nature of Winter" and he talks about the importance of being still in nature, he says " I have proved to myself over and over again that nature's most elusive qualities and secrets come within reach when you can let them come to you. Stillness is the key to it all."

As I start to get into the New Year and the week moves back into its busy rhythm I am asking myself whether I will be more deer than dog, whether I will stop and listen for God's word in the midst of it all or snuffle in the undergrowth and miss the moment. 

Stillness is the key to it all


Comments