Seeing with different eyes

Yesterday afternoon I enjoyed a guided walk around Great Bardfield, learning more about the Bardfield artists and seeing a fascinating social history of the local area which they captured in their sketches, drawings and paintings. As we explored the little museum, a few of us recognised how often we drive through Bardfield and yet had no idea this was all on our doorstep. Now when I drive through Bardfield I will see it with different eyes.  

On Saturday I went to an exhibition of the work of Mary Newcomb. This was an artist who noticed everything. I was delighted by the exhibition,  the way she took time to notice and then sketched what she saw. There is one sketch of the local football team playing, as seen in the distance through a leaf which is being munched by caterpillars. How much more we are able to see when we really look. 

In the Bible, Jesus restores the sight of the blind man and helps him to see clearly. Whenever I take a little time to stop in the day and pray, to begin the day with a prayer, it helps me, to see the day ahead, the things I have to do, with a different eye, it reminds me that I have been given this day and am not in charge of it after all, but can only be grateful for the gift and ask for help with the hard bits. 

They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him.  He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man’s eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?”
 He looked up and said, “I see people; they look like trees walking around.”
 Once more Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. " Mark 8 vs 22-25



Comments