Happy New Year

It used to be new Year was all about the party and being a Scot we did party, however I find as the years have gone by the beginning of a New year is a strange mixture of hope and a bit of fear about what lies ahead. Perhaps a recognition that actually we cannot see ahead and  that the landscape can change very quickly. 

I couldn’t start the year without a Macy story.
Macy, like all dogs, is creature of habit, change makes her fearful and lately I have been going away a lot at weekends, so her response to this is to lie on top of my case, which always me smile. I smile because I know what she doesn’t, that it will be Ok, I will be back, she is not alone. Maybe we need to think of Christ like that, that although we fret and fear, he knows all will be well.

Last year I really enjoyed the movie Lah Lah land, I loved the music and the dancing  and often listen to the soundtrack to brighten my day, but the song which really speaks to me is City of Stars. The lyrics describe quite beautifully the need we have inside us, the need to be loved, as the song says “A voice that says I’ll be here and you’ll be alright.” Such a yearning is common in most people but while we may find it in our relationships here on earth, it is the perfect description of our relationship with God.

The bible is the story of God’s attempt to bring us into relationship with him, time and again we are told how much we are loved, time and again we are told that although all earthly things may pass away, God’s love is unchanging, time and again we are told not to be afraid for God knows our fears and he tells us ‘I will be there and you’ll be alright.” 

We don’t know what  lies ahead, there may be change we are excited about or change we fear, we may fear the fact that we don’t know but God walks with us as he has done since time began, he holds us in his arms as one would a child learning to swim and reassures us 

“Do not be afraid, for I am with you”. Isaiah 41 vs 10


I will be there and you’ll be alright.

Comments