Of butterflies...and ironing

The garden is filled with butterflies at the moment and as I sat and enjoyed a cup of tea in it my daughters and I speculated over the idea that butterflies only lived for 24 hours, and what would we do if we were only alive for 24 hours. ( I'm not actually sure they do only live for a day but it made an interesting conversation.)

Well the answers ranged from 'sleep' ( which just seemed silly ) to 'grow up marry have children'         ( which seemed a bit of a busy day), to 'not the ironing anyway' ( I think you can guess who that came from.)

How would we pack all our busyness into one day, we wouldn't would we, we would need to streamline and get rid of things which perhaps we have always felt important but are not the absolutely most important. In a weird way I was reminded of this concept when listening to the news last night and wondering how government departments were going to shed 40% of their budget.

Thankfully I don't have to make any such decisions, but although much longer than a butterfly,relatively speaking this life is fleeting, so it does beg the question do we spend our time on  the right things, do we waste time and energy on needless stuff?  What really matters?  - I refer to my earlier answer 
Not the ironing anyway!

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6 vs 33



Comments