A day to be inspired

St George's day is a day to be inspired is it not? And I say this as a Scot, but maybe it's just because I am in need of inspiration.

I could talk about work or faith or the many areas in life we sometimes need to be inspired to persevere but I won't I will talk about my seedlings instead. Maybe its something to do with children leaving home but I now have several hundred new little lives depending on me and I take my responsibility seriously. They don't look much at the moment growing in their little glass frame but they will be my garden of Eden in a few months. They will bring colour and joy and scent and it is my job to get them there.

There have been bumps along the way. These bumps are called slugs. One morning a few weeks ago I awoke to find a tray of seedlings demolished, beheaded by these uncompromising creatures and so began the struggle. A struggle which became even more complicated last weekend when the dog unbeknown to us discovered the joys of a slug pub. Having removed the ( protective pet haha) cover she enjoyed a Saturday pint of London Pride and proceeded to race around the house trashing the sofa and the cushions as indeed most teenagers do when introduced to their first tipple followed by a very deep, contented sleep for several hours. So slug pubs cover or no cover are out.


Anyway we have found a way and the seedlings flourish on in the sunlight growing and maturing and I stand with them a little like St George, sharing the sense of having battled and won.

Its easy to be discouraged in this life and I can find no better inspiration than the words God spoke to Joshua

“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid;do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1 vs 7-10

Comments