Yours in haste

How often I wonder do we do things in haste and regret them later. I was walking the dog with a friend this morning who, when she was distracted by something else, gave permission to her teenager for a party which she is now regretting as the day draws nearer.

But isn't it so easy to do, you are busy with something , you just want to finish the conversation and move on , and teenagers are so good at slipping things under the wire because they know our responses. Suddenly you find yourself signed up to make 100 cupcakes or dog sit for a fortnight or indeed host a teenage party.

This weekend's bible reading was exactly the same. Esau, back from a  hunting trip and very hungry gives away his birthright carelessly for the sake of a bowl of lentil stew and the consequences at that time were significant for birthright not only affected inheritance but duty and destiny.

Sometimes  in haste I say some very big things that I don't always mean. I repeat the Lord's prayer but do I really mean your will be done (only if it matches mine), I ask for just enough for the day -my daily bread then spend the day planning and controlling the agenda for weeks to come.

Maybe we need to get better at stopping and thinking before giving it all away for a bowl of stew.

 "Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished.  He said to Jacob, “Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I’m famished!” (That is why he was also called Edom.[f])
 Jacob replied, “First sell me your birthright.
 “Look, I am about to die,” Esau said. “What good is the birthright to me?”
 But Jacob said, “Swear to me first.” So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.
Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.


So Esau despised his birthright." 
Genesis 25 vs 30-34

Comments